Study Essay Questions for First Exam
Remember: in your exams you will be
asked to write a clear, legible essay, using complete sentences and paragraphs.
You should plan your essay in advance. You should use specific details in
your essay, such as proper names, dates and terminology.
- How do historians study, divide up, and evaluate the past?
- How did the original human hunter-gatherer communities become civilized,
with what problems?
- What did the Ancient Middle Eastern civilizations contribute to the foundations of Western culture?
- How did the Greeks and later Hellenistic rulers succeed and fail in politics?
- What Gręco-Roman philosophy, literature, and art unified the Mediterranean, Western Europe and the Middle East?
- How did Rome grow from a city-state to an empire unifying the Mediterranean?
- How did the new religion of Christianity begin?
- How did Roman Empire fall in the West, yet last another 1000 years in the
- Discuss the importance of religion in the ancient world. You might consider the
following questions: What religious forms did the first peoples have? How did religion
serve the needs of the Middle Eastern civilizations? What changes did the Greeks and
Romans bring to beliefs? How were Judaism and Christianity different from other religions
and then from each other?
- Describe in which ways the Greeks and Romans formed the first Western Culture. You might
consider the following questions: How were they different from neighboring civilizations?
What new answers did their great thinkers offer to the meaning of life? What were Greek
and Latin literary contributions? How did their art & architecture create new
interpretations of and adaptations to life? How did they spread this civilization
throughout the Ancient World?
- Discuss the problem of empire in the ancient world. How did the first empires come
about? What were the strengths and weaknesses of the universal empires of Assyria and
Persia? How did the Greeks fail at empire yet succeed at civilization? How did the Roman
Empire arise out of a crisis, create more crises, and yet survive several crises? What
caused the ultimate failure of the western portion of the Roman Empire, and what were its
This page has had
since 4 August 2006.
Site built, maintained & Copyright © MMVII by Brian
Last Revision: 5 January 2007