Minutes of Curriculum & Teaching Committee
October 9, 2007
Present: Brian Pavlac (Chair), Kristi Concannon (Chair-elect),
Margaret Corgan, Joseph Evan, Hamid Hosseini, Michael Little, Paul Lindenmuth,
Jonathan Malesic, James Wallace; Dr. Nicholas Holodick, Vice-President for
Guests: Sean Cryan, Director of Campus Activities & Orientation; Mark Kalaus; Adjunct Lecturer in Theology; Robert McGonigle, Associate Vice President for Student Affairs & Dean of Students; Terrence Mech, Director of the Library; Teresa Peck, Associate Vice President for Enrollment & Academic Services
1. The meeting was called to order at 3:31 p.m. in Sheehy-Farmer 117.
2. Invited guests identified a need to review the First Year Experience, initiating a discussion of concerns such as:
• Difficulty recruiting faculty to participate in FYE or the academic session held during orientation.
• Incorporating a meaningful service component.
• Poor student response to summer reading assignments.
• The range of information that FYE instructors are required to cover.
• Whether or not FYE should be pass/fail.
• The degree to which FYE (and the academic session held during orientation) should include an academic component or serve as acclimation to college.
3. The Curriculum and Teaching Committee endorses an ad hoc committee tasked with recommending options for transitioning Orientation and FYE to better meet the needs of incoming freshmen. Teresa Peck agreed to coordinate the ad hoc committee’s activities; Kristi Concannon, Joe Evan, and Jim Wallace volunteered to participate.
The meeting adjourned at 4:29 p.m.
C&T | Back to King's College | Back to C&T home | Back to 2007-2008 Schedule & Minutes