Minutes of Curriculum & Teaching Committee
October 16, 2007
Present: Brian Pavlac (Chair), Kristi Concannon (Chair-elect), Margaret
Corgan, Joseph Evan, Hamid Hosseini, Michael Little, Paul Lindenmuth, Jonathan
Malesic, James Wallace; Nicholas Holodick, Vice-President for Academic Affairs.
Guests: Margarita Rose, Ed Ockerman.
1. The meeting was called to order at 3:35 p.m. in Sheehy-Farmer 109.
2. The minutes of the October 5, 2007, and the October 9, 2007, meetings were amended and approved.
3. The committee discussed the latest proposal submitted by representatives
of the Social Science Division (Dr. Rose, Fr. O’Hara, Dr. Ockerman, and Dr. Rish).
The proposal, titled “Response to the Curriculum and Teaching Committee’s Core
Proposal Dated 10/05/2007,” calls for inclusion of CORE 150 as a required course
in the new Core. Guests and C&T’s representative from the Social Science
Division informed the committee that a clear majority of the division members
who provided feedback to the proposal were in support of the proposal. The Chair
called for a motion, suggesting that the language of the motion be taken
directly from the proposal:
Students are required to choose one, and only one, section of Core 150 from among the categories of American Studies, Contemporary Global Studies, and Social Science.
The motion was seconded, and a lengthy discussion ensued. The motion passed by a vote of 5 to 4.
4. It was moved that C&T endorse the version of the new Core just revised above and that the committee submit the new Core to Faculty Council. The motion was seconded and passed by a vote of 5 to 3.
5. Discussion turned to the selection of CART coordinators. It was noted that
the names of applicants for ten uncontested CARTs (FYS, Effective Writing,
Mathematical Ideas, Civilizations, American Studies, Literature, The Arts,
Natural Science, Philosophy, and Theology) had been forwarded to the Vice
President for Academic Affairs, leaving four CART positions unfilled: Foreign
Languages and Cultures, Contemporary Global Studies, Oral Communications, and
• Because one of the candidates for Foreign Languages and Cultures had withdrawn from the process, the committee will forward the name of the remaining candidate to the VPAA.
• C&T reviewed applications for coordinator positions on Contemporary Global Studies and Oral Communications. Voting for candidates was conducted by secret ballot. The names of successful candidates will be forwarded to the VPAA.
• C&T has not received applications for coordinator of the Social Science CART.
6. Committee members examined and briefly discussed a revised version of the
procedures for establishing a new major, minor, concentration or certificate
program at the college. A motion to accept the procedures was seconded.
Committee members decided to take additional time to more carefully examine the
language in the document. The matter was tabled.
7. C&T will meet again on Nov. 2, 2007, at 2:00 p.m. in Sheehy-Farmer 115.
The meeting adjourned at 4:50 p.m.
C&T | Back to King's College | Back to C&T home | Back to 2007-2008 Schedule & Minutes