Minutes of Curriculum & Teaching Committee
November 2, 2007
Present: Brian Pavlac (Chair), Kristi Concannon (Chair-elect), Margaret Corgan, Joseph Evan, Hamid Hosseini, Michael Little, Paul Lindenmuth, Jonathan Malesic, James Wallace; Dr. Nicholas Holodick, Vice-President for Academic Affairs
1. The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m. in Sheehy-Farmer 115.
2. The minutes of the meeting of October 16, 2007 were approved as amended.
A proposed policy for establishing new major, minor, concentration or
certificate programs at the College which had been tabled for further study at
the October 16, 2007 meeting was discussed and amended.
Moved and seconded that the amended version be approved. Motion carried.
4. After discussion it was decided that there was no need for a separate CART for the interdisciplinary social science courses in the Social Science, American Studies, and Contemporary Global Studies categories of which students will be required to take one, and only one, to fill the requirement. It will be the responsibility of the CART of the category in which the course is being offered to make sure it is interdisciplinary as well as meeting all the requirements of that category.
5. Since to date no one has volunteered to serve as leader of the Social Science CART, Dr. Pavlac will send an e-mail to all members of the Social Science Division asking any of those who are eligible to let him know by November 12th if they are willing to serve. If no one replies by then he will speak to members personally.
6. The numbering system for courses in the new core was discussed. Final action on a proposal using the current system with minor changes and addition of the three new categories, The Arts (170-179), American Studies (180-189) and Contemporary Global Studies (190-199) was postponed until the next meeting. [Proposal Here].
7. A proposal for new Honors Program requirements which has been submitted by Dr. William Irwin, Director of the Honors Program, was discussed briefly. Dr. Irwin will be at the next Committee meeting to explain the proposal and answer questions.
8. It was decided that the question of a stipend for CART coordinators will be placed on the agenda of the next meeting.
9. The next meeting of the committee will be on Friday, November 16, 2007 at 2:00 p.m.
10. The meeting adjourned at 3:15 p.m.
C&T | Back to King's College | Back to C&T home | Back to 2007-2008 Schedule & Minutes