Minutes of Curriculum and Teaching Committee
January 18, 2008
Present: Brian Pavlac (Chair), Margaret Corgan, Hamid Hosseini,
Paul Lindermuth, and Jonathan Molesic.
1. The meeting was called to order at about 2:00 p.m. in Sheehy-Farmer 115.
2. Because of several departments interviewing candidates for new positions, and Dr. Nicholas Holodick (Academic V.P.) not being able to attend, there were only five members present. However, since there was a quorum, it was decided to hold the meeting.
3. The amended minutes of the meeting of November 16, 2007 were approved.
4. The minutes of the December 7th, 2007 were approved after several
amendments were made.
5. The next item of discussion was the two options proposed by the Chair “for how to do the Core website”. There were some discussions that concerned uniformity and simplicity. However, it was suggested to think about it more and decide on the two options at a future meeting.
6. The next item of discussion was “status of CARTS” regarding course requests for the fall semester”. As reported by the Chair, with the exception of Foreign Languages and Cultures CART, not much has been decided by the various CARTs about Fall Core courses. Thus, these will be decided during future meetings at which course numbers and titles will also be discussed.
7. As suggested, the course numbers that appear in “The Core endorsed by C & T, 7 December 2007” need some modification. This was also postponed to a future meeting. A motion was made, and approved, to change the title to “the provisional Core from C & T, 7 December 2007”.
8. There was some discussion about “proposed revision to advising planner”. That included discussion about Core 141 through 146 in the Foreign Languages and Cultures category not including titles, or whether or not we need to include all the course titles in the Core planner. Motion was made, and carried, to include the titles for Core 141 through 146 in the Foreign Languages and Cultures category.
9. The Chair has also emailed to C & T members (and Ms. Teresa Peck) a list that includes a comparison of old and new Core requirements, needed for advising purposes. Since the numbering of the new Core courses may not stay the same, as a result, motion was made (and carried) that this document would be regarded as a working document, and that course titles and numbers to be decided later.
10. CART compensation discussion was postponed to future meetings, when more
members are present.
11. The meeting also discussed the drafting of Master Syllabi for the courses in the new Core, and their requirements. It was decided that general requirements should be determined by C & T and be sent to all CART coordinators. As suggested, the specific requirements will be determined in the future.
12. The meeting also discussed the meeting times for this semester as proposed by the Chair, consisting of Fridays (2:00 p.m.), Thursdays (at 3:30), etc. These are listed in the Chair’s email of January 9, 2008.
13. The meeting adjourned at 3:00p.m.
C&T | Back to King's College | Back to C&T home | Back to 2007-2008 Schedule & Minutes