Minutes of Curriculum & Teaching Committee
August 31, 2007
Present: Brian Pavlac (Chair), Kristi Concannon (Chair-elect), Margaret
Corgan, Joseph Evan, Kyle Fetterolf, Hamid Hosseini, Michael Little, Paul
Lindenmuth, Jonathan Malesic, James Wallace; Dr. Nicholas Holodick,
Vice-President for Academic Affairs
Guests: Dr. Elizabeth Lott, Dr. Joyce Armstrong
1. The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m. in Sheehy-Farmer 115.
2. Dr. Lott and Dr. Armstrong presented a proposed Master's of Education (M.Ed.) with a major in Curriculum and Instruction and four Areas of Concentration: Mathematics, Science, English as a Second Language, and Elementary Education. The proposed degree will need the approval of the Pennsylvania Department of Education after all necessary steps have been completed at King's. A copy of the proposal is attached to these minutes. [Proposal linked here].
3. Moved and seconded that the Curriculum and Teaching Committee supports the further development of the Master of Education (M.Ed.) with a major in Curriculum and Instruction.
Motion passed unanimously.
4. After discussion of the need to resolve the question of the courses to be offered in the Social Science category of the new core it was moved and seconded that the Curriculum and Teaching Committee requires that any compromise on Social Science must come from within at most the four categories of Social Science, American Studies, Civilizations: Historical Perspectives, and Contemporary Global Studies. Motion passed unanimously.
5. It was moved and seconded that in the spirit of core revisions each of the four categories: Social Science, American Studies, Civilizations: Historical Perspectives, and Contemporary Global Studies should include more than one course option. Motion passed unanimously.
6. The next meeting of the committee will be on Wednesday, September 5, 2007 at 4:00 p.m.
The meeting adjourned at 4:00 p.m.
C&T | Back to King's College | Back to C&T home | Back to 2007-2008 Schedule & Minutes