Outcomes for the Core Area of Contemporary Global Studies
Objectives for the student:
- To be familiar with most of the significant cultures and civilizations
which dominate controversies around the world yesterday, today, and
- To identify significant major events, persons, and processes, and ideas
which shape contemporary political, economic, and social change on a global
- To practice identification of, dialogue about, and proposed resolution
of global conflicts.
- To identify and analyze significant global problems and situations as
they relate to the continuing issues of contemporary life using selected
methodologies of economics, geography, history, political science,
psychology, sociology, or women’s studies.
Goals for the student:
- To appreciate and understand the various and diverse cultures of the
- To develop a global perspective which recognizes the increasing
political, economic, and cultural interdependence of all nations and
- To improve understanding of the historical processes and major events
which have shaped the contemporary world.
- To be an intelligent consumer and evaluator of information about world
events, understanding the complexity of issues and the diversity of opinions
- To appreciate the value of interdisciplinary knowledge and methodology
to comprehending the dynamics of problems around the globe.